Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Big ''O!"

Overstock.com, or as a sassy, well kept lady, in her mid thirties would like to call it, “The Big O.” I’m sure we have all seen this commercial on the television, and thought of one thing when we heard what she called it…ORGASM. Why not? Think about it. America is a totally sex-driven culture that whips their head around at the sound of any type of sexual word or reference. For example: as you scanned the first couple lines of this blog, I immediately caught your attention by capitalizing “orgasm.” This is just one of the many things that Overstock does to draw its customers in. The next thing they do, is make the (scandalous) thirty something, woman sing some nock-off of a catchy tune with the original words replaced for things they sell on the site. I now know why I started shopping on that site; deep down I guess I’m a sex- driven, shopaholic, who buys into catchy marketing songs; I know I’m not the only one though.

The commercials themselves are very effective in drawing the viewers in and making them curious in viewing Overstock. Unlike a normal store, people can visit the site whenever they feel comfortable; with out the rush of store hours and busy masses of people. It’s once people are on the site that they see everything Overstock has to offer. Whether it be from the in season clothes, to the cookware, and books, to just about anything else. Not only will the future consumer see that it’s all high quality, and in season items but, that it’s all at a reasonable price. How do you buy all of these things you ask? Well I will tell you that it is as simple as a point, type, and click.

Unlike many places that sell things for cheaper, with the exception of a pricey, monthly membership, Overstock.com finds the fee to be unnecessary. Why deal with the ball and chain, when you can browse the site, and put things in a “cart,” without being a member? After you browse, pick and choose, you simple supply an email, and a password and you’re in. You have now just become a member and it was that simple. One little catch though; you need some sort of credit/ debit card to buy all your great treasures.

This is really as simple as it sounds. After you become a member, all you need to do is push a option button, that allows you to type in your card number, and verification, and it will save all of it so shopping can be easier. So let’s say you’re in a rush and you find your gift on Overstock, you’ve signed in, and all you need to do is pay; done. Since you saved your info (which is very secure) you’re done. But wait! How do you get your “goodies.”

If you ever plan on actually getting these items that you paid for, I would recommend that you have a place for these things to be shipped. I mean after all, I don’t think you would want to pay for something you never get. That’s why you need some type of P.O Box or residence that you can receive your merchandise from. Just like your credit info, your billing info can be saved, and you have extra space for the shipping address incase it’s a gift, for that special little someone. J

So whether it was like those late night ‘call now’ commercials that made you curious to see what Overstock was about, it did its job. The commercials effectively caught your attention, and told you why to buy from them…economical prices (not because the skanky lady said to.) The site lets you go online and shop at anytime of night, or day, without any late junkie store rushes, plus you can access it without any prices membership fees. Let us not forget that anyone with a credit or debit card, plus a billing address can use the site. So Overall, if you have these simple things, you can use the site easily and effectively.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

You know what they say…sex sells. It is such a sneaky marketing trick to throw something like the phrase “The Big O” into a commercial about a shopping web site, but like you said Gen, it works. You can tune out every single word of a commercial out until you hear some sexual term used out of context. Then you are sucked in. At least you know the marketing directors are doing there job right! Overstock.com sells absolutely everything, and at a bargain, so the sexual innuendo simply grabs your attention until you notice the great shopping. As a fellow shopaholic, I admit to using the site as well, and I know I have busted you on there a few times Gen!!

Ronit said...

Now that I read this second post, I realize I have heard of overstock.com. I now remember seeing that commercial and thinking the same thing as you. That lady just keeps going on and on about “the big O”. It really gets you wondering what the commercial is about, until she finally tells you. I like that you were bold enough to talking about your interpretation of “the big O”. Usually everyone just pretends they aren’t thinking that when they see the commercial. That was an awesome post, it was very interesting. Once again your introduction made me excited to read your post.

Brady Tucker said...

I really enjoyed your post, because I remember that commercial, and I interpreted it the same way you did. She never says it directly, but we all know what "the big O" means to us. Sex is the biggest and best marketing tool used towards our generation in an attempt to take our money. Once you see or hear that flash of sex, you are instantly drawn in to the ad. In this respect, overstock is a great success. Your analysis was right on, and I enjoyed your post.

Irina said...

This is cool. I have actually never heard of Overstock, but now that I read your post it sounds pretty cool. With all the homework that I have to do now, I almost have no time to shop. And like most girls I am a huge shoppoholic. I love to shop for anything and everything and knowing about this web site it will be so much easier. Thanks for writing about Overstock, I would never know about it and still be depressed about not being able to shop.
I like the way you wrote this post. Reading it feels like listening to someone telling it. Good job!

nathanbos said...

Your blog is very well written. I enjoyed the humor a lot. I have bought a couple things from overstock.com and found the experience to be quite invigorating. I have to be careful of not getting drawn into the buying of things just because it is such a great deal frame of mind. So many things seem like they would have such a great use and provide hours of entertainment, or ease your life immensely when you see that they are 60% off. Overall I enjoyed reading your writing and agree with your ideas about advertising.